This week, Fulton County began to mail temporary tax bills for the 2018 tax year.
These bills may be found online at www.fultoncountytaxes.org. The Fulton County bill must be paid no later than October 31, 2018. If the property is located in the City of Atlanta, that portion is due no later than October 15, 2018. If the property is located in a city, check with your city to determine if an additional amount is due.
Tax bills are mailed to the owner of record as of January 1, 2018.
If a property has been sold in 2018, the seller is the likely recipient of this year’s bill and may forward it to the new buyer. It is the current property owner’s obligation to seek out the tax bill(s). You may find your Fulton County tax bill at the link provided above.
Note about funds prorated at closing:
- At closing, the seller gives the buyer the seller’s share of taxes for this year based upon an estimate.
- This means that the buyer is responsible for paying the full amount of the tax bill for this year.
- Most contracts provide that either party may request from the other an adjustment if the tax bill estimate varies from the actual tax bill. Upon requests, we are happy to recalculate the pro-ration amounts between the parties.
Note about Escrow Accounts:
- If the buyer has a mortgage on the property, it is important to know whether or not it has an escrow account.
- If so, the escrow account should pay the tax bill automatically.
- If there is not an escrow account, the buyer will need to obtain a copy of the tax bill at the link provided above and pay it in full.