Located on the south side of west Cobb County, Georgia, the Mableton community includes over 30,000 residents and 20 square miles. Mableton was named after Robert Mable, who purchased 300 acres of land in the area on September 11, 1843. In 1881, the Southern Railway opened a train station in Mableton and one year later, a post office opened. The City of Mableton was incorporated on August 19, 1912, and four short years later the city was un-incorporated. Mableton continues to gain popularity due to it’s proximity to Interstate 285, Vinings, Buckhead, and Downtown Atlanta. Mableton also enjoys a lower tax rate than neighboring Fulton County and Atlanta. In addition, affordable housing and plenty of space make Mableton an attractive location for those looking for real estate close to the city of Atlanta but within the acclaimed Cobb County school district.
60 Fontaine Road
|Programs Offered:Outdoor Programs
|Amenities Available: Hiking trails (not paved), Boardwalk, Outdoor education building, 2 Picnic pavilions, Historic cemetery and mill building|
620 Lions Club Drive
|Amenities Available: 2 Baseball fields, Batting cages, South Cobb Community Center, 2 Concession buildings|
|Lost Mountain Park
4845 Dallas Highway
Powder Springs 30127
|Amenities Available: 8 Softball fields, 1 Baseball field, 2 Football/soccer fields, Ward Recreation Center, 3 Concession buildings, 2 Playgrounds, 3 Picnic pavilions, Lost Mountain Tennis Center (12 courts), Batting cages, Walking tracks, 2 Fishing ponds,West Cobb Senior Center|
3630 Oakdale Road
|Amenities Available: 1 Softball field, 1 Baseball field, 1 Football/softball field, Multi-purpose court, 4 Tennis courts, Batting cage, Playground, 2 Picnic pavilions, Concession building|
|Thompson Park555 Nickajack Road
Mableton, GA 30126(770) 819-3215
|Amenities Available: Thompson Community Center, lake and wooded area|
6289 Pisgah Road
|Amenities Available: 2 Picnic pavilions, 1 Playground, 4 Tennis courts, 1 Softball field, 2 Concession buildings, 2 Batting cages, 2 Baseball fields, 1 Football field, Multi-purpose courts|
Popular subdivisions include:
Condominiums and Townhomes:
- Get ready! School is starting!
- 5808 Tree Fern Ct Mableton GA 30126 – LEASED – $1650
- Georgia House and Senate Take Action to Urge Congress to Amend or Repeal Biggert Waters Flood Insurance Bill
- 30th Annual Hunger Walk/Run
- Microsoft Store Set To Open at Perimeter Mall
- Tapering Signals Year-End Economic Strength Indicators Point to Greater Recovery for 2014
Robert Mable (1803-1885), a native of Scotland, immigrated to Savannah, Georgia. When he heard of the Georgia Gold Land
Lottery of 1832, he purchased 300 acres in the area that became Cobb County. He and his family lived in a log cabin until 1843
when he built a sawmill and began construction of a plantation plain house. Upon moving into the Mable House, the cabin became the location of the first school (private) in Mableton.
The Mable House was used by Federal troops during the Civil War as a field hospital. Wounded soldiers were cared for by Mrs. Mable. This kindness was the basis for the decision to leave the Mable House intact instead of burning the house and outbuildings.
The Georgia Pacific Railroad received land from Robert Mable. When the depot was built on the south side of the tracks west of Church Street, the engineer named the station “Mableton” after the Mable family. Mableton became a city in 1912. Four years later, the citizens voted to unincorporate to avoid the raising of taxes to pay for needed road repairs.
Today the Mable House is on the National Register of Historic Places. The facility is under lease to the Cobb County Board of Commissioners and is operated as part of the Cobb County Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department.