Smyrna is located about 10 miles northwest of Atlanta, and is considered an integral part of the Metro Atlanta area. Known as the “Jonquil City,” the City of Smyrna was incorporated in 1872. Over the years, Smyrna – covering about 15 square miles – has developed into a vital and active member of the regional landscape.
- Just a 15-minute drive from downtown Atlanta
- Revitalized and active downtown area includes a library, community center, retail development and mixed-use development, city hall and charming homes
- Charming neighborhoods with a vast array of amenities for residents and businesses
- Parks, jogging trails, pools, lighted tennis courts, public golf courses and much more
- Day camps, sports and recreational activities for children to seniors
- Summer concerts and family events downtown
- Winner of the prestigious Urban Land Institute’s Award of Excellence
More than 50,000 residents call Smyrna home, and this area of Cobb County continues to be attractive for residential development. Smyrna’s demographic profile shows its residents are younger and have a higher per capita income as compared with the Atlanta MSA. The neighborhoods are diverse in style and are doubly enriched with diversity and community spirit. The City of Smyrna’s Village Green and Market Village are surrounded by and include 33 acres of parks and green space within one mile of downtown. There are 304 acres of park and green space inside the 15 square miles that makes up Smyrna.
In the downtown area there is a well-equipped Community Center with two gyms and exercise equipment, a koi pond and lots of trees. Recreation facilities exist throughout the City and park space is available for special events. One of our favorite areas in Smyrna is the new West Village – filled with shops and great dining (Blue Moon Pizza Co, McCray’s Tavern, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Rita’s, Lime Taqueria & Tequila Bar, Crepe Revolution, and Starbucks), this is a great place to walk around or hang out!
Smyrna is growing in popularity because of the close proximity to the Perimeter, and downtown Atlanta, new, affordable housing, and growing nightlife and recreational opportunities.
Four trailheads have been constructed offering parking, restrooms, water fountains and related amenities. The trailheads are excellent places to access the trail and begin your adventure. They
are open from dawn to dusk. For individuals who reside close to the trail, it can also be accessed at numerous cross streets. Nearby residents are encouraged to walk or cycle to these locations. The trailheads are located:
Florence Road – 3453 Florence Road, Powder Springs
- Floyd Road – 4342 Floyd Road, Mableton
- Heritage Park – 60 Fontaine Road, Mableton
- Mavell Road – 4573 Mavell Rd SE, Smyrna
- Concord Road – 140 Concord Road, Smyrna
- Oakdale Road – 4160 Atlanta Road, Smyrna
Silver Comet Depot
In a building that used to serve as the old train depot, the Silver Comet Depot now offers Bicycle/Skate rentals, accessories and concessions. The Silver Comet Depot is located at the Floyd Road Trailhead (4342 Floyd Road, Mableton). Call the Silver Comet Depot at(770) 819-3279 for more information .
Safety and Etiquette
The Silver Comet Trail is one of the top trails in the country. What was once was used for train travel is now utilized by casual walkers, hikers, joggers, bicyclists, inline skaters and people with disabilities.
Popular subdivisions include:
Argyle Estates | Barnes Mill | Cedar Cliff | Concord Lake Village | Heritage at Vinings | Olde Vinings Mill | Orchard Gate | Paces Ferry Park | Paces Green | Paces Lake | Sherwood Park | Vinings Chase | Vinings Close | Vinings Glen | Vinings Mill West | West Haven | West Village | Woodland Brooke | Woodland Gate