Before decorating for the holidays, take time to prepare your home for the winter months. Use this list to help you get started.
- Weatherproof doors and windows. Using clear caulk or weather stripping to seal any gaps around windows and doors helps prevent warm air from escaping when it’s chilly outside and keeps the cool air in when it’s hot.
- Protect your floors. Prepare your home for messy weather by placing floor mats at every entrance and purchasing a waterproof tray for storing wet shoes.
- Reverse ceiling fans. Make sure your fans are set to turn clockwise during the winter. This pushes warm air down into the room and could help you save money on heating costs.
- Treat the lawn. Mowing and fertilizing your lawn prior to the cooler months can help ensure a lush, green yard come spring.
- Check for overhanging branches. To prevent damage during high winds and severe weather, hire a professional to trim any branches that are too close to your roof.
- Tune up the HVAC. Replace the air filter in your HVAC system, and have a professional check your unit to ensure that it’s running efficiently before cooler temperatures set in.