Fall Maintenance Checklist
You might be asking yourself “What can I do to protect my house this fall? Is there something I can do to defer repairs?” Fall is a great time to handle simple home maintenance projects while the weather is still good and before we get caught up in the holidays.
- Remove (or cover) window air conditioners.
- Install storm windows/doors, and remove screens.
- Aerate and fertilize the lawn.
- Trim trees and shrubs away from the house.
- Inspect the roof for damage.
- Inspect the deck for any raised nails or screws.
- Cover or store outdoor furniture and grill.
- Winterize outside faucets.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts.
- Disconnect the garden hose from the outside faucet.
- Replace caulking around windows and doors
- Inspect and replace your HVAC filter (I recommend you do this monthly).
- Schedule furnace inspection.
- Have chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Clean clothes dryer vent.
- Inspect clothes washer hoses for leaks.
- Clean kitchen exhaust hood and filter.
- Test GFCI outlets.
- Test sump pump.
- Clean and activate the humidifier.
- Reverse ceiling fans to make the blades run clockwise.